No, no, no…

Like millions of other migrants, I might have come to Japan in search for a better life. I am committed to a period of hardworking with satisfying rewards, by my standard, leaving behind everything beloved and familiar albeit temporarily. This is the sacrifice I am willing to make. I never knew that there would be an unfortunate twist to my story.                   One week before leaving for Japan I got a nagging cough with coloured phlegm. I took my antibiotics and after four days the cough subsided. Alas, just a day before I suppose to fly to Nagoya, I caught a bad fever that chilled me to the bone. This was followed by another cough. I thought my immunity was weak at that time because I didn’t slept and ate well for weeks due to my workload. When I’ve been in Nagoya for two weeks, the cough did come back especially at night accompanied by feverish chill. I went to a clinic and prescribed antibiotics after a blood check showed increased white blood cells number and CRP level (a marker of inflammation). After five day-course of germs-killing drug regimen the CRP level still high and the cough persisted. My doctor seemed worried and ask me to always wear a mask before writing a reference letter for me to a big hospital.      Long story short, the doctor in the hospital   diagnosed me having pneumonia at lower lobes of both lungs and again antibiotics was warranted. Meanwhile, he would check my sputum for the responsible culprit. Two days after going to the hospital the doctor rang me and told me hurriedly that my sputum was positive for Mycobacterium tuberculosis bacili, confirmed by smear and PCR. Means that I am contracting tuberculosis (TB), a highly contagious disease with a long treatment plan. He told me that this is an emergency situation and I should not go out of my apartment until a car from the city public health department comes to pick me up. I have to be quarantined as soon as possible in a special hospital under Japanese law.                                                         The news came as a shock! I could barely process what he was talking about. Oh, my..for a moment I cried thinking of the many consequences the diagnosis brought me.  

Inside the car that took me to my medical detention place


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s